Monday, May 30, 2011

Icarus

Lately my roommates and I have had a ‘seize the day’ theme. Cliché words, I know, but the idea of seizing a day can never become old and overdone. Last night we made cupcakes and delivered them to people we love, around town. The cupcakes turned out worse than we wanted, took longer than expected, and we probably didn’t need 6 of us to deliver them (I rode in the trunk).

So today, Devin looks me in the eyes at about 2 this afternoon, and asks, “How are we going to seize the day today?” We looked out the window and saw the trees full of excitement. “It’s windy,” he says.

I’m four feet off the ground, with Flu holding me down, the wind fighting him hard. I land and we both get dragged about 30 yards. The wind picks me up again, this time eight feet off the ground. Flu (6’6”) is holding me at the waist with full arm extension. Then I’m tossed to the ground. We are dragged again. If he lets go of me, I have no clue what will happen.

“Let’s fly a kite…”
“Yeah… that sounds fun…”

It wasn’t until Devin suggested that we get full face helmets, that I realized it wasn’t such a bad idea. Flying a kite is okay, but flying a 12 meter, $1,000 kite, complete with harness, in 30mph winds, is reckless. We were in a reckless mood.

I feel alive when the skin is stripped off my wrists, my legs are still shaking from the adrenaline rush, and Devin and I are being dragged behind Flu as we try to stop him from floating away.

Consider today seized, cliché and all. This doesn’t even include Sean on train tracks with helmet, Sean breaks into a car, or Sean jumping off 15 foot balcony in an effort to rescue his bedding, during a blanket heist. I rescued it.

No comments: