Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Quarter Life Crisis

So my two best friends are now married. Two of them in a week and a half. They both have degrees, are starting families, and moving forward with their lives. What am I doing with mine?

Now, it would be easy to read this and try to give me tons of feedback on why I can't compare myself to others, and how I am doing plenty with my life. Yes, this I understand. But I can't get myself to FEEL that way, even if I understand. So, beyond getting talked out of it, this is what is going through my head as of late.

It makes me feel left behind. I've had plenty of friends get married. My brother is getting married. I'm fine with all of this. And while I celebrate wholeheartedly the forward motion in Lance and Daniel's lives, it becomes more real to me when it is the people I have lived with, done life with, discovered with, and journeyed with.

I am not married. I am not in a relationship. I am not going to school. I am working a job that is good enough, but that I am not passionate about. I had to quit ministry. Yes, a lot of this comes down to my health. I DO NOT, by any means think that these are the number one things in life or that I have to have these things to achieve purpose or happiness. I don't sit around wanting to be married, and I don't sit around wanting a girlfriend. I'm not beating myself up about school. But, none-the-less, I feel left behind.

Regardless of how it is achieved, I want my life to have purpose and lately I have felt very purposeless. I'm pretty sure I am having my quarter life crisis, and while it creates inner turmoil, I can only hope that it causes transformation in my heart and the desire to risk. While it is a struggle, I hope that it changes me. Maybe having a panic time to look at my life is exactly what I need. Maybe I am already moving forward.

1 comment:

James Ward said...

Isn't it strange that we all have such a disconnect between how we feel and what we understand!?! Seriously. WTF? That makes no sense. It's the same brain, same consciousnesses, and same spirit behind it. Why are the two so separate? Is that good? Healthy? Or do we really not understand. I feel confused.